I Knew There Would Be Days Like This

Friday, February 19, 2010 | |


I've written about my kids before and I'll surely do it again. They are the best part of my life and I love them dearly. However, there are times when I wonder why raising kids can't be just a little bit easier and today is one of those days.

Don't get me wrong, my kids aren't selling drugs, robbing banks or manufacturing Toyotas. They're just being kids and generally their behaviour is about as good as any two kids I know. That said, all kids are hard on your head at times and mine are no exception.

Today I want to talk about my daughter.

I don't know if times have changed dramatically from the time I was seven, or if life as a girl is something I just can't understand, but my God the drama she finds herself in at school! There isn't a day that goes by where she doesn't come home with another story of someone being unspeakably mean to someone. And if you don't have an hour, you don't have time for the whole story! The best part is that the nasty situations don't even involve her until she voluntarily thrusts herself into these soap operas like some sort of Second Grade Dr. Phil!? I've come to the conclusion that girls that age absolutely cannot get along and that perhaps bickering with each other constantly is actually how they relate to each other??

My daughter is also quite bothered by the behaviour of the boys in her class. It's nice to know that a million years after I was in Grade 2, it is still customary for boys to shows girls that they really like them by teasing them constantly and generally making their lives miserable. No less than 200 times have I reminded her of this, but each day it's another story of "Daddy, Justin made fun of my name today and says that gymnastics is for losers."

The horror.

They talk a lot about bullying in schools and I'm glad that they do, but my daughter doesn't quite seem to grasp the concept. Her definition of bullying has expanded to include someone declaring a new best friend and an unwillingness to play tag. When I snickered loudly, she accused me of bullying.

Oh boy.

Another issue that seems to come up more and more is envy over the attention received by her younger brother. My daughter has been an over-achiever from the day she was born and as the oldest grandchild on either side of the family has lapped up more attention than any child I know. But the moment we praise her brother for being quick to put on his coat and boots she reacts like she's the second coming of Cinderella.

"Why don't you ever tell MEEE that I did a great job of putting on my coat and boots???" she whines.

"Because you're seven," is my usual reply.

I have no doubt she's making a list of infractions against her and will be contacting Childrens' Aid to report me.

For bullying.

Ugh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment