Cutting branches

Monday, May 31, 2010 | |


As a homeowner, there is always something that needs to be done. When jobs are put off for years at a time, the list of things that can be done is endless. So, every now and again I just have to get to one of those jobs and this past weekend it was trimming tree branches.

I noticed a few weeks ago that some of my trees had grown so much since I last trimmed them (never) that they were growing through my fence. I had too much shade and it was difficult to tell where one tree ended and another began. Branches which once hit me in the head when I cut the grass now scratch my arms and back. I was tired of explaining my lawn mower/tree injuries, so something had to be done.

Out I went with my trusty tree pruner, aided by my 5-year-old son. A tree pruner is irresistible to a 5-year-old and I had to contend with a lot of "Daddy, can I try, can I try, can I try???"

The first tree is a bizarre collection of branches that have grown out of the side of what I believed was a dead tree stump. In short order, the strange tree-like thing was chopped back to a manageable size and shape.

The next tree was a snap and I was ready to tackle the giant evergreen in the corner of the property. I hadn't realized how long these branches had grown and I knew I had lots of work to do. I started on the bottom branches and figured any 20 foot long branch should be 15 feet. Branches that pointed directly at my face would lose a few feet. Branches that extended 10 feet over the fence would be told to come back home.

My pruner was put to the test and it wasn't long before I was covered in tree sap up to my elbows. Piles of branches were on the ground and I knew it was time to take a step back and admire my handy work...

Oh God.

What had I done?

My giant evergreen tree was now a ridiculous looking mess and it was all my fault. I had obviously cut off way too much. I was in shock. How did I not realize what I was doing? When did I get a hand saw? Where was my son when I needed someone to blame???

I guess it's not the worst thing ever. In 30 or 40 years no one will ever know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment