Souvenirs

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 | |


sou-ve-nir

noun
1.a usually small and relatively inexpensive article given, kept, or purchased as a reminder of a place visited, an occasion, etc.; memento.
2.a memory.

Before I left on my weekend trip to New Orleans, my son asked me if I would bring him back a souvenir, specifically a toy. I was surprised by the request, largely because I didn't know he knew the meaning of the word.
But I wasn't going to let him down, so I made time to pick something up for both kids and my wife before I flew back home. Of course the time I made for this was at the airport, but I've always thought that if the name of the game is to get something that is small, portable and clearly from that city, then the airport is the perfect place. I had never been to the New Orleans airport before, and realized quickly that I was limited to buying souvenirs in one small gift shop or hoping that my kids would enjoy the latest issue of Men's Health.
My wife's souvenir jumped out at me first. She would get a coffee mug. She can't seem to visit any place for more than 24 hours without buying a mug to remind her of the time spent there (and the splendid coffee?), so this was a simple choice. Romantic? No. Practical? Yes. Do I have room for one more mug? I don't have room for my existing mug collection, so what's one more?
Next was my daughter. She's fascinated by different cultures and studies all things strange and unusual until she becomes an expert. Aha! A creepy little casket-like thing with a Voodoo doll inside would be perfect! I'm sure it wasn't a perfect souvenir for too many eight-year-old girls, but my daughter has always been her own kid.
I was now faced with my first tough decision-is my son going to want the same souvenir as his sister, even though his interests are so very different? I thought back to the original "Daddy, can you bring me back a souvenir...a toy?" and knew that caskets and Voodoo dolls were not in his thoughts. Unfortunately there was nothing he would enjoy in the store and I hoped that I was heading to a larger airport in Houston.
As it turns out, I was. Strangely though, there wasn't a lot of good souvenir shopping at that airport either and thoughts of buying something in Toronto entered my head. There had to be something a five-year-old boy would want and there it was...a magic Spiderman colouring book where the drawings come to life once the magic marker is used. I also picked up a pack of playing cards with pictures and fun facts related to the SPACE program. He loves space ships and loves to play cards with me...if the obvious references to the great state of Texas could be ignored, it was perfect.
Everyone loved their little gifts. My daughter said the Voodoo doll was "SO cool!!!" My son was so happy to see the cards, he ripped the box apart and hasn't stopped asking to play with me since I came home. We've played many games of "Go Fish" or "Goldfish" as he calls it. I've yet to beat him, but suspect that's unimportant.
My wife has made pot after pot of coffee and drinks only from her new mug until she shakes. Ok, maybe that hasn't happened, but she really does like the mug.

0 comments:

Post a Comment