Fun with Wireless

Thursday, May 27, 2010 | |


I don't pretend to be on the cutting edge of technology. I was 30 years old before I sent my first email. In university, I ignored a professor who wanted to introduce us to something he called "the internet."

But a few years ago, I bought a wireless router for my home so I could connect wirelessly with my laptop. This year, while at school, I discovered the world of wireless while on someone else's network and I've become like a kid in a candy store.

I used to go to Starbucks because I like paying too much for coffee and wondering when those comfy chairs are ever available. Now, however I can enjoy the experience of standing, drinking expensive coffee AND surfing the internet! I pretend I'm doing something important (do unimportant people even go to Starbucks??), but I'm not. It's enough for me to simply be connected while drinking expensive coffee.

For fun, I'll open my laptop while sitting outside a business in my car. I'll attempt to find a wireless network and have discovered that they are EVERYWHERE! I could care less who they belong to and attempt to connect to any and all networks that are foolish enough to let me in. "The network you are attempting to connect to is an unsecured network, connect anyway?" I am warned. Are you kidding me? I'm sitting in my car, attempting to connect to a free internet connection. You think I'm worried about security? It is to laugh...

I've become so accustomed to finding free connections that the suggestion that I might pay to use the internet anywhere on the planet has become a joke. Free wireless has become my right as a human being and there is no turning back.

I haven't yet, but assume that the next step in my wireless evolution is to complain loudly when I find locations where no wireless network exists.

You have been warned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment