The Best Laid Plans

Monday, June 14, 2010 | |


There are days when you jump out of bed and just know you're going to conquer the world. But sometimes, on days like that, the conquering is interrupted so badly that what you actually accomplish is absolutely nothing.

Today was one such day for me. I had planned to write the world's greatest resume, which was to generate job offers so unimaginably good that it would approach embarrassment to accept them. Logical next steps would include shopping for a dream home and a private jet. The blog would continue, but every other post would be written by the nanny.

And then life happened.

My son has been complaining very loudly about some pain in his front teeth and we knew we had to take him to the dentist. At first the dentist was only able to put him on the cancellation list, but a second phone call resulted in a Wednesday morning appointment. An hour later, the dentist called back to say there had been a cancellation and they could see him today.

I knew what came next.

"Since you're home today...?"

(Sigh)

"Yeah, I can take him."

My resume time up in smoke, I finished what little I could, then picked up my son from the baby sitter's house. He was oddly excited about the trip to the dentist, which told me he hadn't figured out that pulling teeth was going to be high on the list of possibilities once we arrived.

He was his usual brave self and the dentist wasn't able to tell us exactly what was causing the problem. Pulling teeth would guarantee that the pain would go away, but in the off chance that the problem is simply his adult teeth coming in and pushing on the roots of his baby teeth, I decided we weren't getting the pliers out today. We will go back when/if the problem continues and perhaps not be so lucky the next time.

I had a bit of time I wasn't expecting, so I decided we would run a few errands. On the way to the grocery store we talked about my son's teeth grinding and how it had to stop. He promised me that he would and we pinky swore on it (his idea). I don't know if that's legally binding, but it's better than nothing.

When we got home, I tried out a recipe for hummus that I'd found online a couple of days ago.

That's right.

I woke up today and was going to conquer the world.

Instead?

I made hummus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment