No More Webkinz Please

Sunday, June 13, 2010 | |


I've grown to hate Webkinz.

If you're not familiar with Webkinz, they are small, stuffed animals that come with information that is used to create and participate in a virtual world for these "pets." They need to be activated and stay active for a year, when presumably children will be able to watch their virtual deaths.

My daughter has stockpiled Webkinz for a couple of years, but is just now activating them in any numbers. She and my son rush to the computer every chance they get to play the Webkinz games, earning points by working virtual jobs and buying virtual "stuff" that somehow makes them deliriously happy.

They would never get off the computer unless forced to, and fight over computer time as often as they are near the computer. Just this morning, my daughter was on the computer, doing whatever the Webkinz do, and blocking my son from getting a chance to play in this twisted, little world. He was not to be denied his Webkinz time or experience, so he pushed her right off her chair onto the floor.

Webkinz has officially become like crack to my children and they will do whatever it takes to get it.

It all makes sense when you think about it. Today's kids have no responsibilities, cares, concerns or worries. Their time is spent playing and daydreaming. Of course they're going to want (dare I say need?) an escape from all of this. A place where they can forget all their troubles by living vicariously through furry animals who play and work and live like they're dying...because they are.

Webkinz reminds me a little of a movie that was popular when I was a kid-Gremlins. They too were small and furry and adored by children, but were discovered to be horrible things that destroyed an entire town.

I think I'm going to declare my house a Webkinz free zone for a little while and get my kids outside again.

Come to think of it, Gremlins aren't welcome either.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

but everyone have different prospects. i am agreed with you i also hate webkinz but my son always used to found free webkinz codes generator everywhere on the net and on different search engines.

Post a Comment