Graduation

Thursday, June 10, 2010 | |


Today was a special day and I had to get out the door early. I had my graduation ceremony for the Corporate Communications program which started at 10 a.m. at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga.

They asked the "graduands" to arrive no later than 9 a.m. and head directly to the robing room. Coming from Cambridge, there are two arrival times in Mississauga; stupidly early and 15 minutes late. The second option also includes about a week's worth of stress, so I opted for stupidly early.

As I was at the venue a full hour before expectation, I puttered around for a bit, before heading to the robing room. I learned quickly that only those showing up exactly at 9 a.m. were to head directly to the robing room, while stupidly early people were sent away.

Finally allowed entrance to the robing room I was told that I was to stand in line to await my robe and that a failure to return the robe would result in a $200 replacement fee on my Sheridan College account. How they actually planned to collect that from me (or what negative impact I would then have to live with?) eludes me still, but no one could say I hadn't been warned.

When I was second in line, I heard the person in front of me get an earful from the person dispensing the robes and name cards. "Don't bend the card, don't lose the card, have the card with you at all times or you might not get your name called out, you understand?" he was told.

Expecting a similar exchange, I began to mentally prepare...

This is my name card. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My name card is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My name card, without me, is useless. Without my name card, I am useless...

But the strangest thing happened. Instead of berating me, he said, "Oh, you're graduating with high honours and you're a silver medal winner...congratulations!"

The high honours part made sense to me, but the silver medal winner part didn't. Did that mean I had placed second to the gold medal winner? Was this based on marks? Popularity contest? Earliest arrival on graduation day? What?

Only when we were seated in the theatre were we told that the silver medals were awarded to the student with the highest marks in each program. I was absolutely floored by the honour I was about to receive.

As is customary in any graduation ceremony, the stage was occupied by members of the college faculty in their ceremonial attire-Chancellors, Deans, and what appeared to be wizards. I learned today that this is called a "platform party," and what a party it was.

The keynote speaker was a recently retired professor from the theatre arts program. His topic was "preparation and opportunity," and it was quite a good speech. About that time though, I became unbelievably hungry and my mind started to drift. I had anticipated the hunger and wisely smuggled in a granola bar under my robe. However, I didn't think I could unwrap it and eat it without being detected, so I had to admit that my plan wouldn't work. Seems my preparation was sound, but the opportunity wasn't to be. Oh, the irony.

Before and after our class was called to the stage, I marvelled at the strange clothing choices of some of my fellow graduates. Worse yet was a fellow who walked the stage carrying a large plastic bag that appeared to be from Wal-Mart. Perhaps he had planned to graduate, then immediately return a pair of pants? I suppose we'll never know.

The college did an amazing job of keeping the ceremony moving. The speeches weren't too long and the calling of names was done swiftly. There was live music playing while the names were being called and it seemed to speed up if people were taking too long to cross the stage. If anyone had really dragged, they were likely to break out the theme from the Benny Hill show.

My time on stage was uneventful. I accepted my certificate and small pouch containing my silver medal, congratulations from the faculty, and shook hands with the wizards, before returning to my seat.

It was special to be able to share the day with my classmates-many of whom have become dear friends-with my wife and my father watching from the audience. It was actually a pretty special year for me, and this was a truly nice way to put it in the books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment