Just browsing, thanks

Saturday, August 27, 2011 | |

The other day, I started to do some research on the best times to post content to different social media sites. My research took a very strange turn and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about what happened and how I feel about it.

The very first website that purported to have helpful information on this topic was “Twitter Marketing Agency.” Within seconds of clicking on their site, a text box popped up in the bottom right hand corner of the page that stopped me dead in my tracks. It said:

Amanda: Hello, thanks for visiting us at Twitter Marketing Agency. How can I help you with your business? Yes, I'm a real person :)

Whoa!

Let me provide a little context-I work in communications and I’m fascinated by the ways organizations are connecting with their customers (or prospective customers). Organizations need to embrace technology to enable quicker and easier communication with their customers or risk being left behind by their competition.

If I was to believe that there really is an “Amanda” at Twitter Marketing Agency and that she engages each and every person who clicks on their site in this fashion (how this would be done I do not know), then I might think Twitter Marketing Agency is on the cutting edge. I might think that this business completely “gets it” by making a live person available even before I’ve had a chance to look over their site.

However, I don’t see it that way at all. No, I think Twitter Marketing Agency has taken things too far and missed a crucial step.

When I walk into a store, I want the option to look around without being bothered by a salesperson and I want to know that someone is ready to help me when or if I need help. I agree to let eager salespeople know when I’m ready to be helped and I don’t mind making this effort in exchange for my uninterrupted time to browse.

The magic of the internet is that I can do my browsing anytime, anywhere and I’ve never had to worry about someone ambushing me at the door to ask, “Can I help you?” As it is with a physical store, I want to take a look around and then let you know if I need any help. Not only do I feel like Amanda has rushed me, she jumped out from between a pile of jeans and startled me!

If I were to go shopping for a car I wouldn’t expect a salesperson to jump into the backseat of my vehicle as I pulled into the lot. If I was at the bookstore, I wouldn’t expect an announcement to be made over the speakers that Jeremy, our associate of the month, would be pleased to read pages one through 14 in the book that I had just opened. I get the feeling that if I respond to Amanda I’ll have to be careful that she doesn’t assume it’s okay to untuck my shirt.

Maybe I’m overreacting? Maybe this is a good thing and I just need to accept it? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to post this to Facebook and Twitter...if I only knew the best time to do that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment