RIP Jack Layton

Monday, August 22, 2011 | |

Today, Jack Layton, the leader of the federal New Democratic Party (NDP), lost his battle with cancer. He was 61.

I’m not an overly political person and have no interest in debating whether or not Layton was a great politician. I am similarly uninterested in (and perhaps incapable of) arguing that the NDP under Layton did or were about to accomplish great things for our country. Others can and will tell the story of Layton’s political history and argue his leadership track record far better than I ever could.

But, whether you loved or hated the man’s politics, it was impossible to ignore his virtues as a man and the legacy he leaves behind. For these he will be missed by all Canadians.

Jack Layton cared. He cared about making the City of Toronto a better place and he cared about creating a better Canada. He cared about providing a different choice for the province of Quebec that he believed would provide them a better future. He gave of himself for a very long time to serve these communities as well as he could.

He worked very hard to do what he thought was right. He didn’t take “no” for an answer and overcame incredible odds to have the success that he enjoyed in the political arena.

He was a fighter in politics and in life. I’m certain that he fought his cancer with tremendous strength and dignity.

I’m well aware that my image of Layton was carefully crafted by his handlers, but I believe he leaves behind a loving relationship with his wife of many years. That he built and nurtured this special relationship with someone he loved is to be admired.

In a touching final letter to Canadians, written when he knew his end was near, he wrote:

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”

Jack Layton left a legacy of love, hope and optimism. He made Canada a better place. I plan to use his words and his memory to inspire me to do the same.

I hope you will too.

RIP Jack Layton

0 comments:

Post a Comment